Thursday, October 21, 2004

First

I've been planning to start a blog for awhile now, but the final catalyst came today when I wanted to post a comment on another blog and had to post as Anonymous because I wasn't a member. Although I spend a significant amount of time on computers, I am not technically savvy, so I haven't figured out the basics here yet. For instance, I don't see where I am supposed to add the "Personal Profile." So, let's get that out of the way with this first post - I'm 41. I live in Southeast Arkansas; I work for the state as a child support enforcement prosecutor. I've been married for 12 years; we have a nine year old son and a five year old daughter. We also have a 12 year old cat and an eleven year old cat. I'm fairly obsessed with pop culture, particularly music. I've played guitar in a band for nearly 20 years and I also work as a dj from time to time. I've been president of a local Kiwanis club, vice president of a local Chamber of Commerce, president of our local bar association, and a member of the board of directors of most local charitable organizations at one time or another. I was also chairman of our county Democratic Committee for ten years. When I left private practice to go to work for the state full time, I purposely withdrew from most organizations to spend more time at home.

I've really enjoyed reading the blogs of others lately, both local and not local, and I hope that I can return some of the enjoyment. I hope that this doesn't wind up coming across as an ego trip, but I enjoy writing and I write for myself. My posts aren't usually spontaneous - I edit, redraft, and fret over content before I hit "submit." I also notice that "legalese" slips into my writing from time to time - that's a by-product of my occupation (lots of "howevers" and "therefores").

I've been working on a personal project that I tentatively call "My Life In Music" where I write about significant events in my life that all seem to somehow be related to music. I will probably add snippets of that here from time to time; it is a work in progress.

Until I am more confident here, I doubt that I will notify anyone that I am doing this. We'll see.

Oh yeah, I think I am supposed to list favorite music, movies, books, etc - I always have a problem doing that. It's usually a long list. Instead of a current favorite band, I usually go through a "history" of my favorites - so: Buck Owens, the Osmonds, Elton John, Kiss, Aerosmith, Cheap Trick, Rush, Peter Frampton, Van Halen, the Clash, the Ramones, Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Costello, Van Morrison, Prince, R.E.M., the Replacements, Husker Du, Camper Van Beethoven, Meat Puppets, Sonic Youth, Guns n Roses, Metallica, Pearl Jam, Public Enemy.....well that takes me from age 6 to my mid 30's, anyway. Currently, I very much like Drive By Truckers and could kick myself for not going to see them last week. I really, really enjoy my XM radio, too.

My all-time favorite movie is This Is Spinal Tap. My favorite authors over the years have been Kurt Vonnegut and John Irving, but I am more partial to pop culture reference books and pop music biographies and autobiographies.

I'm not a big sports fan and I don't hunt, so I automatically am removed from the primary interests of many people in my area. My wife, on the other hand, is a rabid Razorback fan and she scares the children and the cats when a game is on with loud outbursts of profanity.

That's my introduction. More to follow.....maybe.

1 Comments:

At 4:23 PM, Blogger pselby said...

Need to work on "run on" sentences, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home