Wednesday, November 24, 2004

...must...make....blogs.....shorter.....

I had a chance to see David Lynch's "The Straight Story" a couple of weeks ago on the Independent Film Channel. I didn't see this movie when it was originally released (4 or 5 years ago, I think), but I remember reading about it.

This is a G rated movie (!) based on a true story about an elderly man who finds out that his estranged brother is ill. He wants to "make things right" by visiting his brother, but he can no longer drive. He buys a riding mower, hooks a trailer to it, and sets out on a journey. His struggles and encounters along the way are the heart of the movie. A particularly moving scene involves the man and another elderly man exchanging war stories in a bar.

There are very few movies that I want to see more than once. I've seen this one twice so far, and I would watch it again.

Richard Farnsworth played the title role and he was nominated for a Best Actor Oscar. Sadly, he committed suicide a few months later.

1 Comments:

At 8:17 AM, Blogger fairygirl701 said...

Sounds interesting...I've added it to my netflix list!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home