Thursday, June 02, 2005

the Eagles

I have gotten into many arguments over the years about the merits of the Eagles (the band, not the Crossett Eagles, although....). I don't outright hate them; they have had some decent songs, and the guitar solo at the end of "Hotel California" is a classic. My problem with them is that somehow over the years, they have gotten elevated to mythic status by many -- right up there with the Beatles, the Stones, Elvis, etc. They don't belong there!!! I like Joe Walsh but Henley and Frey seem pretentious and seem to have an overly inflated sense of self worth.

I caught a little of their NBC concert special last night. My argument got a lot of support. There were so many "supporting musicians" on stage, it looked like a Vegas revue instead of a rock concert. The performances were rote and without any soul whatsoever.

I had decided that if they came back to LR on their neverending farewell tour, I might go and see what the fuss is about.

I've changed my mind.

2 Comments:

At 5:20 AM, Blogger Nick said...

Same here. I'm just really not sure what the hype is about. We've got the farewell concert sitting on Tivo but I just haven't been able to find the time to watch it. More than that though, I think it's just that I'm not really that excited about watching it. They're a band whose hits will always get a good rotation on classic rock stations, but that's just it. They're just there.

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Reality Chick said...

I dearly looooove Joe Walsh...saw him in Dallas last year, and lawd does he have soul. Oddly enough, "new kid in town" is on the radio as I type...LOL
The mega-star status placed on the Eagles has now dwindled to a complacent following of denim-clad baby boomers, all trying to recapture the euphoria caused by smoking too much weed at Eagles concerts. It just ain't the same....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home