Monday, December 19, 2005

Farewell.....

.....to John Spencer, who died of a heart attack last Friday. John played "Leo" on The West Wing, which is quite possibly my favorite television show of all time (and apparently, my wife and I are the only persons still watching the show). Unlike the other death in this entry, John's death caught me off guard and was completely unexpected. In a series overflowing with great actors and great performances, John still managed to stand out -- much as he did in an earlier series, L.A. Law. In one of the West Wing episodes last year, "Leo" had a heart attack - it was vivid and painful to watch. I can't imagine that that scene can ever be played again in syndication, and, if it is, I can't imagine being able to watch that scene. There was such promise for the West Wing and "Leo" if the series managed to survive - on the series, Leo is currently the Democratic candidate for vice-president, and there is also the hint of a romance between Leo and the character portrayed by Kristen Chenoweth (who is very good on West Wing, but very annoying in Old Navy commercials). I could literally go on for quite awhile about great "Leo" moments on West Wing, but all I will say is that West Wing will never be the same and maybe it is time for a dignified farewell for the series now.

...to Richard Pryor, who died last weekend of a heart attack. News of his death was no real surprise; he had been in declining health for years. There's no need here to try explain his greatness; many other forums have done that in recent days. What I would like to relay is the fond memories of my adolescent years and the role played by Richard Pryor. Circa 1976 or 77, I wanted to play football, I got hurt, and I instead became one of the team managers. Not a bad deal, then; most of the perks and none of the actual work (I mean, I even lettered in football as a freakin' manager!). Anyway, one of the other team managers had the 8 track of Richard Pryor's "Bicentennial Nigger". We managed to listen to it in the field house when the coaches and team were on the field for practice. This was a big deal for a 13 year old back then - my family couldn't get cable , there was no internet -- there was simply no easy access for material of this type. I remember laughing like crazy, but I was also smart enough to realize that Pryor was being revolutionary. Fast forward a couple of years later - Richard's first concert film was released - it was very controversial at the time due to the language and the nature of some of the routines and there was talk that it might even receive an "X" rating. Had no real serious thought that I would get an opportunity to see it, but guess what - it came to the Sunset Drive-In!!! My buddies and I loaded up and went to see it and laughed our asses off (we were all either 15 or 16, but the "no one under 17 admitted without parent or guardian" was not enforced at the Sunset). One of us later got the 8 track of the performance and I practically memorized the routines - to this day, when one of those routines is played on the XM Comedy channel, I can practically recite it - particularly the one about the pet monkey that Richard had.

Thanks for helping me grow up, Rich.

2 Comments:

At 4:49 PM, Blogger saurav said...

May Peace
Hope and Love
be with you
Today
Tomorrow
and Always

Merry Christmas!

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger fairygirl701 said...

What a wonderful memory...farewell Richard...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home