Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Quick Grammy Thoughts

Very busy at work and want to return to this topic later, but for now, this is all I have time for:

President Clinton won a Grammy for reading the audiobook version of "My Life" !

Zach Braff won a Grammy because he personally compiled the soundtrack to "Garden State."

Brave Comb0 won a Grammy for Best Polka Performance. I used to go see Brave Combo in LR quite a bit -- they've been around forever and they are a lot of fun. I first read about them in Rolling Stone in the late 70's when they gained attention for their version of "Purple Haze." They also made the best Christmas album of all time, imho, and did a very surreal version of "Stairway To Heaven" with Tiny Tim. My fondest memory of a Brave Combo show is a show at a now defunct club in NLR - the guys came off the stage, tuba player included, and marched right out the front door, down the street, into a 7/11, and out again, with many of us following along in parade fashion. The parade abruptly ended on the way back to the club when the NLR police made it very clear that they were not amused and had a paddy wagon that would hold all of us. The guys from Combo were very apologetic and all was well again. They are going to be at Riverfest this year and I will be there, too.

2 Comments:

At 9:09 PM, Blogger fairygirl701 said...

that garden state sdtrack is awesome! Haven't heard of brave combo, but the parade is he-larious! Would definetly like to check them out.

 
At 6:05 AM, Blogger pselby said...

No, no; not intended as a slam against either President Clinton or Zach Braff; I was just pointing out interesting awards that didn't get any press (at least, none that I read).

I do think that I will enter one of my mix cds in the Grammy competition next year, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home