Thursday, June 16, 2005

Catching Up

Congratulations to my in-laws on their 25th wedding anniversary – we had a wonderful and well-attended celebration this weekend, and the music, if I may be completely immodest, was just right.

I’m not surprised by the Michael Jackson verdict, but I don’t really think it was a case of “Hollywood justice”, either. I didn’t follow the case closely, but from what I did see, the case had reasonable doubt written all over it -- and that’s all you need.

UrbanDictionary.com now defines "dooced" as losing your job for something you wrote on your online blog.

I'm not supposed to disclose the rock artist that will perform in Crossett in August yet, but at least it isn’t the Nuge (rc, you may or may not be mildly disappointed, depending on what particular songs you like.....)

“Shit” and “bananas” should never be used in the same sentence

“The Adventures of Shark Boy And Lava Girl In 3-D” was not nearly as dreadful as the reviews made it seem. The story was novel and my son was enthralled. If you want dreadful, try sitting through “Yu Gi Oh – The Movie” in a theater.

I shamefully must say that I’ve been watching “Beauty And The Geek”

Found a used copy of the “Ren & Stimpy” box set at Game Stop this weekend for $19.99 – excellent deal! What seemed risque’ for a kids’ show ten years ago is relatively tame now, but it is still funny.

The fact that the a/c in my vehicle is not working properly had not really bothered me until this week – now I’m looking for a repair shop….

The band played without me last weekend (due to my previous commitment with in-laws celebration) – from all accounts, the 40th class reunion of the Class of ’65 was not much fun and I’m glad I wasn’t there

I skipped all of the political components of the Pink Tomato Festival in Warren, but Arkansas politics seem to be really heating up again -- the Arkansas Times daily blog is becoming a must-read

I have discovered that if you Google the name of an arena and are patient enough to scroll through page after page of entries, you will occasionally find a site that will give the date of when a particular act played that venue. By doing that with Barton Coliseum, Pine Bluff Convention Center, Monroe Civic Center, etc., I have discovered some interesting sites. For instance, there is a site that obsessively details Eric Clapton tour dates; I learned that I actually saw Eric Clapton and Muddy Waters in Monroe in 1979, not 1980 – there was even a set list! Other interesting tidbits were that Alice Cooper played Monroe at the height of his shock rock popularity; Elvis played multiple nights in Monroe in 1974; and Ozzy and Randy Rhoads played Pine Bluff shortly before Randy’s death ( I saw them in Shreveport). I also don’t remember Marilyn Manson playing Barton, but apparently they did. Anyway, here is one that I have no recollection of at all: in 1993, Bob Dylan apparently played the Monroe Civic Center theater – I DID NOT KNOW THIS! I WOULD HAVE BEEN THERE!

3 Comments:

At 12:41 PM, Blogger ginger said...

Random posts are great! I wasn't surprised by MJ verdict either, but I still think he is guilty as hell.

Great deal on Ren&Stimpy - I've got them on my Netflix Queue. My all time favorite is "Space Madness" - MY ICE CREAM BAR!!!

My A/C went out this week, so I'm there with ya! HOTTTTT!

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Reality Chick said...

Shit and bananas? ROF...

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger fairygirl701 said...

The old Ren & Stimpy's are definetly the best!! The new ones just can't capture the same magic. I've still got my old Ren doll from 92, I'm convinced it will be a collector's item one day. Too bad I threw away my ALF doll...

Too bad there are no more big concerts in Monroe. What happened? Why did all that stop? I remember when Bon Jovi and BLue Murder (I think was the name) came to Monroe. I was about 14 and was in town w/my parents. Seeing all the cars at the Civic center and many of them decorated for the occassion just made me want to go sooo bad!!! I would have given my right arm!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home