Saturday, March 25, 2006


It seems like a lot of my (admittedly infrequent) posts lately have been to say goodbye to some celebrity who meant something to me. This one is no different.

Buck Owens is the first singer that I idolized. Most people only remember him from "Hee Haw", which actually probably tarnished his image somewhat. I remember him before "Hee Haw" when he had his own half-hour program. It usually came on on Saturday afternoons and it consisted only of Buck, his band, and guest stars singing. No cornfields. No haystacks. Buck's guitarist, the great Don Rich, was another hero of mine.

When I would try to sing, it was Buck whom I would try to imitate. For some reason, I have fairly strong memories of trying to imitate Buck doing his cover version of the Coasters' "Along Came Jones."

I was pleased when Dwight Yoakam brought Buck back to the forefront in the late 80's by publicly proclaiming his influence and his greatness. I have a great download of the Derailers, with Buck sitting in, on a song called "Play Me The Waltz Of Matilda." I also have a vinyl box set of Buck and the Buckaroos, and Buck's Christmas album is one of my all time favorite Christmas releases (second only to Brave Combo's Christmas album).

Buck, I'm playing again on April 22 and you can bet that at some point, I'll play a Buck Owens song as a tribute. Hell, I might even spray paint my guitar red, white, and blue.

1 Comments:

At 5:41 AM, Blogger andy said...

My parents wouldn't let me watch Solid Gold so we had to watch Hee Haw--I didn't really mind--I remember his trademark guitar with the red white and blue---I'll always remember him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home