Sunday, March 26, 2006

Perfection

Every so often you see a film that actually changes your life. I had that experience yesterday with the sublime Larry The Cable Guy - Health Inspector. You can have your Crash, your Brokeback Mountain - even your Casablanca or your Citizen Kane. This film impacted me on a much deeper and visceral level than any film I have seen in a long time.

The direction, the cinematography, the script -- they were all superb. All of the audience sat enraptured through the entire 89 minute experience. At the end, we all stood teary-eyed and applauded. We all actually had to be asked to leave the theater because we all desperately wanted to stay for another viewing. I was so proud that I had accompanied my son to this cinematic tour-de-force.

Easily comparable to Godard's Breathless or any of the other films of the late 60's new wave of French cinema, this film will haunt me for a long, long time.

Next February, I predict that a certain genius in a cut-off flannel shirt and baseball cap will be standing on stage at the Oscars accepting a "Best Actor" statue. I can't imagine anyone surpassing this performance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home