Saturday, April 23, 2005

New Toy

In a blog a few months ago, I sang the praises of putting MP3 files on DVD discs, since you can get 800-900 songs on each disc. It made dj work easier - you take a sound system, a laptop computer, and a few DVDs.

I've gone a step further - I bought a Seagate 120 gig external hard drive Thursday. I stayed up until around 1:00 a.m. that night transfering the contents of all of the DVDs to the new hard drive, which is essentially a square box about the size of a CD jewel case ( but thicker).

The box says that if the drive is filled with MP3 files, you can play music for 82 straight days without playing the same track twice! I still have about 30 gigs left on it.

I tried it out at the Bradley County Relay For Life Friday night. Worked like a charm. That's a very diverse crowd. You want to line dance to Da Entourage's "Bunny Hop?" Got it. Garth Brooks? Here you go. Soft instrumental piano music during the reading of the names of cancer survivors? Found it. University of Arkansas fight song ? Yep. (That reminds me, I need to get Mr. Martin to let me record the HHS band playing the HHS alma mater and I also need the CHS alma mater - I need these for class reunions....).

I'm not saying I can't be stumped - any musical wise-ass like myself can always think of some obscurity to "stump the band." It won't happen often, though.

Only drawback so far: If I can't remember who sings a song and I have to use the file search feature on the computer, it takes forever. So, now maybe I need a faster laptop.....yeah....that's the ticket....

3 Comments:

At 9:52 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

It never ends... one new toy leads to another one which leads to another one which leads to another one!

YIKES!!

I will be glad when that USB port for our brain comes out... Then we can just hook ourselves up to other people and share everything!

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger fairygirl701 said...

OOOoo! That sounds like an awesome toy!!

Brad do you watch ghost in the shell? They do have USB links in their heads! Maybe not be so far away after all.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Never heard of Ghosts in the Shell...

When you guys were talking the other night, Stephanie, about shows, I had ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA of what you guys were talking about!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home